• We are available for your help 24/7
  • Email: info@isindexing.com, submission@isindexing.com


Paper Details

Thrombocytopenia due to Plasmodium Palciparum malaria in children in paediatrics department, Alamal National Hospital, Sudan

Omer Saeed Magzoub, Satti Abdelrahim Satti

Journal Title:Basic Research Journal of Medicine and Clinical Science
Abstract


Malaria is a major public health problem in Sudan. Thrombocytopenia has been reported to be associated with malaria with incidence between 24-94% in some studies. Usually it runs a benign course and causes no bleeding. It responds usually to anti-malarial treatment. Case reports: 28 patients were treated in paediatric department diagnosed as having malaria due to plasmodium falciparum infection and one patient had mixed infection (falciparum and vivax) from September 2012 to March 2013 (7 months). Their age ranged from 10 months to 15 years. 15 patients (53.5%) had malaria associated with thrombocytopenia (one of them was treated as out-patient). Only 2 patients (13.33%) had severe thrombocytopenia (7,000 and 19,000/ cumm). The rest (13 = 86.66%) had mild and moderate thrombocytopenia i.e. ? 20,000/ cumm. 10 patients (66.66%) treated with quinine (I.V. and oral) and 5 patients (33.33%) treated with IM Artemether. All patients (15 = 100%) recovered from malaria and thrombocytopenia and discharged home. No one of them had bleeding from any site. Conclusion: In general, mild and moderate thrombocytopenia is very common in falciparum malaria and has got a benign course and improves with treatment. Severe thrombocytopenia is uncommon and rarely associate with bleeding. Malaria should be considered in febrile patients with low platelets. Keywords: falciparum malaria, children, thrombocytopenia, Sudan.

Download