Paper Details

Assessing the Prevalence of Hepatitis B Surface Antigen in the Northern Brong Ahafo Region of Ghana: Locus of Intervention Model

Paul Amo Kyeremeh MPH & DrPH

Journal Title:Medical & Clinical Research
Abstract


Background: Scarcely was found any data on the prevalence of hepatitis B surface antigen in the Brong-Ahafo Region of Ghana. This study was conducted in six traditional areas in the Northern Part of Brong-Ahafo Region, to ascertain prevalence of hepatitis B surface antigen among the respondents to recommend intervention strategies for control and prevention. Method of data gathering: The data was obtained from the department of Preventive Healthcare and Lifestyle Medicine at Valley View University Hospital, Techiman Campus. 444 respondents were assessed on the presence of hepatitis B surface antigen by community healthy health screening program. They were adults between 18 and 59 years old who were from Techiman, Nkoranza, Atebubu, Kwamedanso, Yeji and Kajiji traditional areas, all in the Brong-Ahafo Region, Ghana. The blood sample was collected by a finger prick. Sample population: There were 444 respondents: 198 (44.5%) males and 246 (55.4%) females. Study design: The study is basically cross seasonal. Limitations: This paper is to assess the prevalence of hepatitis B surface antigen among the respondents. Also, serum blood sample was not taken but the whole blood from a finger prick. This study is again limited to the causes and spread of hepatitis B surface antigen since such data could be obtained from peer review journals, textbooks, and qualitative, or clinical research. Results: Out of 444 respondents, 415(93.4%) were negative with hepatitis B surface antigen. 19 (4.2%) respondents tested positive. 10 (2.2%) males and 9 (2.0%) females respectively. Cumulatively, 4.2% of the sample populations were positive. Conclusion: education on the awareness, mode of transmission, effects and prevention of hepatitis B surface antigen are timely needed to save several thousand from poorer health outcome and mortalities in the Brong-Ahafo Region of Ghana.

Download